Years ago I worked in a bookstore that also provided readings. Upstairs Downstairs I called it. My duties for downstairs were to look after the shop and to sell beautiful crystals, esoteric loveliness and of course, the aforementioned books.
Upstairs was where the readings were done. It was a dusty, ramshackle, little old nook but the perfect place for me to find my feet as a reader. What struck me as perplexing, frustrating and at times, hilarious was how people's perception of me altered drastically when they found out I was a reader. I had one very snotty and overbearing lady do a complete and utter backflip when she found out it would be I, silly shop girl , reading for her the next day!
You see, some folk think that doing this work automatically makes you a more evolved, kinder or even angelic person. Ummm...no. The other half want to string you up for being a charlatan! Remember that psychics are people too and we are all learning as we go. None of us have all the answers. Einstein said " The more I learn, the more I realise how much I don't know. " Our brains would literally short circuit in the face of something of such magnitude. Wherever you find people, you'll find ego and this industry is rife with "I'm the duck's nuts , so get out of my way " type love n lighters. Alrighty...on your bike then. Namaste.
My main gig is getting people to tap in to their own power. Into their own intuition. I'm not a God or a Guru, nor would I ever want to be one. I love it when people's B.S. detectors are fine-tuned and sharp as a tack. Scepticism is healthy ( cynicism is an entirely different ball game). My clients are often asked to sit with a message that has just been shared and to feel it. Does their gut call a hell's no!? Or does their whole being turn to caramel from the sheer relief of realising that they are the masters of their own destiny? I'm all over my clients taking the reigns of their lives back into their own hands.
So how do you get closer to recognising that, sometimes distant, voice called your soul?
Here are a few pointers from my own experience. This is all I can speak from.
- Get some time to yourself. Getting lost in other people's drama and opinion's will only drown out your inner voice. Listen intently.
- Take care of your body. We are in it for a reason. Its our human lesson. The soul is given weight by it and we must learn to live within those limitations. But we also get to discover chocolate, silly dancing, a bit of nudge nudge wink wink. Give it a hand by feeding it properly, resting it, loving it. Whichever shape or size it comes in.
- Hang out with zee animals. Get your hiney back into nature. Listen to the wind rustling through the trees, the complex and magnificent bird calls. Sit and breathe with our Mother Ocean.
- Be patient. Spirit communicates with us in very unique and sometimes, extremely subtle ways. Attune your energy to those subtleties. A shift in temperature, a light touch upon your skin, a tune or verse that you can't seem to shake....these are all ways we can experience "the other side".
- If you don't understand what is being shown, felt, heard etc...ask. And then ask again. Keep asking. Be inquisitive. Be curious. Be open.
- Don't throw tanties with the big guns. It's like a street punk shaking his cap gun at the Godfather. Don't demand- its a sure fire way to get Nada. Zip. Zilch. And it makes you look like a goose. Be humble. Be grateful. If you're hell bent on hearing one particular thing you may miss hundreds of signs. And I'll say it again...be humble.
-Lastly, don't take everything so seriously. Spirit has an incredible sense of humour! Sometimes I'll be in a meditation or yoga class and look around and think how bloody silly we all look or sound. Smile a little. Yes, this work has an incredibly serious side which I respect infinitely but if Great Aunty Esmerelda had a cracking sense of humour here, she's sure as hell going to have one over there!
As Obi-Wan Kenobi said ..."Use the Force, Luke." But use it well and keep it real. Don't be a tool about it. I'm with team Eric Clapton when he sang "It's in the way that you use it"...Be kind, be happy. Peace xx
I'm a 4th generation Psychic, Astrologer and Tarot reader with over 20 years professional experience. This is my quirky, down-to-earth and honest portrayal of the day to day life of a reader, various channeled messages and astro lore. Enjoy! Ask questions, have fun, explore. Thanks for visiting!